Job Description Template
A Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the CHRO job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the CHRO will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a CHRO that will play a pivotal role in the company's growth by providing comprehensive strategies for recruitment, employee experience, professional development, and retention. This role will oversee the full range of human resources functions and develop strategies while implementing programs that inspire, motivate and support our employees.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a CHRO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Lead all people experience programs in areas such as benefits, compensation, diversity, inclusion, and performance management
- Develop, interpret and implement policies and procedures to further the company's goals with a data-driven mindset
- Manage, coach, and develop direct reports as well as provide daily leadership for our HR and Recruiting team
- Set and implement a strategy for our diversity and inclusion efforts
- Work closely with the leadership team to continuously evolve our employee experience by optimizing internal events, onboarding, communication, feedback mechanisms, and employee interactions
- Support our employees with excellent benefits, strong performance & compensation philosophy and empathetic engagement
- Implement and iterate on HR systems and processes to support a rapidly growing workforce
- Serve as a strategic business partner to the senior leadership team
- Evaluates both short-term and long-range planning for new and existing programs
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a CHRO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
B.S. required, advanced degree in business related preferred
[#] years of experience in human resources as a people leader working directly with other department VPs
- Deep knowledge of legal HR compliance matters
- High emotional intelligence with the ability to navigate and discuss sensitive or challenging topics
- Proven ability to work effectively with a wide-range of stakeholders to identify resolve people-related issues
- Able to comfortably engage with executive stakeholders, including board members and peers at other companies
- Strategic understanding of matters such as employee happiness, performance, hiring, culture transformation, and organizational development, and employer branding
- Experience building processes for a workforce of over [#] employees
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A CHRO is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best CHRO candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding CHROs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.