Job Description Sample
A CMO is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the CMO job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the CMO will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a CMO responsible for defining and implementing our marketing and growth programs. Our CMO will work directly with our Co-Founder/CEO and take full ownership of our online presence and customer acquisition programs. This is an excellent opportunity to give voice to our brand and drive revenue growth through data-driven marketing campaigns.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a CMO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Create and own the go-to-market (GTM) strategy for new products/services that demonstrate a clear path for growth
- Set clear objectives and goals, research and define target audiences, develop marketing and communication strategies
- Bring our brand to life that resonates with and motivates our target audience through consistent and relevant messaging
- Oversee outbound customer-facing communications across our website, blog, and social channels
- Bring insights to cross-functional stakeholders across product, design, user experience, engineering, and executive leadership
- Lead and mentor a team of high-performing, results-oriented marketers across a broad set of functions including product marketing, partner marketing, content and brand
- Lead brand advertising, PR and partnerships
- Drive loyalty strategy to build customer awareness and engagement
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a CMO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in marketing preferred
- [#] years of experience building marketing strategies as well as experience with growth, digital, and product marketing
- Understanding of traditional and innovative marketing strategies
- Exceptional ability to communicate and collaborate with other departments to capitalize upon new opportunities for growth
- Demonstrated success creating campaigns and initiatives that drive revenue growth and new customer acquisition
- Able to create messaging that builds awareness, encourages adoption as well as retention rate
- Understands the latest trends in the market and build awareness campaigns that account for these factors
- Demonstrated ability to build lead generation programs that drive drive leads and convert customers
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A CMO is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best CMO candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding CMOs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.