Job Description Template
A Chief Technology Officer (CTO) is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the CTO job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the CTO will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a CTO who will take a key role on our team. Our CTO will be responsible for the technical vision and development of our [product/services]. You’ll be managing other engineers and developers, collaborating on the various layers of the infrastructure for our [platform/application/etc.].
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a CTO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Lead the strategy, planning, and execution of the technology roadmap & OKRs
- Conduct research to improve technological assets
- Maintain quality and ensure all products meet company standards
- Manage IT and Engineering budgets to ensure no unnecessary expenditures
- Adapt to fast-moving business requirements & changes
- Create network safeguards to ensure no data breaches
- Data-driven—use data to prioritize what is the highest-leverage opportunity
- Continuously evaluate technical efficiency and make changes as necessary
- Experience with [platforms/applications/etc.], as well as [technologies].
- Communicate and present to CEO, board of directors, and C-Level staff
- Identify technological trends and implement changes to existing technology
- Provide leadership to department heads that supports company’s technology and mission
- Form a close partnership with Professional Services & Customer Success to help troubleshoot any technical roadblocks and assist with any technology-related client escalation
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a CTO. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree in relevant field preferred
- [#] years of experience as a technology leader managing cross-functional technology resources required
- Scaled technology teams to hundreds of team members across multiple geographies
- Experience working directly with front-end and back-end engineers
- Ability to adapt to new technologies and to learn new scientific and business concepts
- In-depth knowledge of start-of-the-art Machine Learning techniques and theory
- Managed performance review cycles and delivery reviews
- Architected complex platforms and developed enterprise-level technology roadmaps
- Designed, implemented, and optimized processes for development, QA, security, and IT
- Deep expertise in developing evolutionary architecture strategies to optimise across all domains
- Understanding of the ongoing cybersecurity threats and actions required to mitigate risks
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A CTO is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best CTO candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding CTOs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.