Job Description Template
A Director of Engineering is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of Engineering job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of Engineering will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering that is highly technical with a strategic and hands on mindset to help lead our engineering team. Our Director of Engineering will be responsible for collaborating with Product, Design, and Business Operations to help build an industry-defining software.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of Engineering. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Drive projects and initiatives across the entire engineering department
- Support the team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and consistency
- Work with the engineering team to design and architect new systems, products, and features
- Provide hands-on technical management, guidance, and support
- Understand and collaborate on the complete product lifecycle from concept to execution
- Recommends new technology and ideas to improve sprints and efficiency
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to our infrastructure and processes
- Directly assist senior engineering leaders in decision making for the broader engineering organization
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of Engineering. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. in a technical degree required, advanced degree preferred (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- [#] years of experience in engineering and engineering leadership
- Strong technical background and hands-on experience in solving large scale technical problems
- Experience working with both software development and with hardware engineering
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills with the ability to explain approach to all levels in the organization including key stakeholders
- Able to think strategically and see the big picture
- Extensive engineering expertise in the areas of tooling, prints, specifications, product maintenance, budgeting, and software products
- Proven success working cross-functionally and contributing to the product strategy to successfully deliver on the product roadmap
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of Engineering is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.