Job Description Template
A Director of Human Resources (HR) is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of HR job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of HR will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Human Resources dedicated to driving programs that facilitate the employee experience. As a Human Resources Director, you’re a clear communicator with an ability to effectively implement laws, policies and best practices to balance the needs of the organization and support of its staff.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of HR. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Oversee the development and management of thoughtful and efficient HR policies and processes that shape the employee lifecycle
- Advocate for employee's needs and work cross functionally to resolve issues
- Work in close partnership with HR business partners, legal partners and company leadership to iterate on and improve existing policies to create awareness
- Maintain HR compliance
- Create a consistent feedback loop across the company
- Create and implement strategies for succession planning and talent development
- Own and implement our benefits and compensation, performance management, and employee/employer compliance programs
- Utilize people metrics to drive key insights and decisions around growth and retention
- Provide insight and recommendations on HR initiatives that can be leveraged to strengthen business results
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of HR. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in business related preferred
- [#] years of experience in human resources
- Knowledge of federal, state and local employment, wage and hour, and workers’ compensation laws
- Comfort and experience working with people from diverse racial, ethnic, socio-economic and religious backgrounds
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative, trusting, and professional relationships
- Strong customer service and teamwork skills
- Ability to think strategically, analyze problems, develop creative solutions
- Experience conducting workplace investigations
- Strong management and coaching skills
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with strong interpersonal skills and collaborative work style
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of HR is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.