Job Description Template
A Director of Marketing is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of Marketing job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of Marketing will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Marketing responsible for brand strategy and positioning as well as overseeing promotional channels and running impactful brand and product launch campaigns in collaboration with other teams. Additionally, this role requires the Director of Marketing to drive revenue, growth, and customer acquisition through impactful marketing campaigns and data-driven initiatives.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of Marketing. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Establish and execute strategies for brand marketing and communications to drive customer and revenue growth
- Create a go-to-market strategy for products and services, across relevant targeted audiences
- Set clear objectives and goals, research and define target audiences, develop marketing and communication strategies
- Bring our brand to life that resonates with and motivates our target audience through consistent and relevant messaging
- Oversee outbound customer-facing communications across our website, blog, and social channels
- Collaborate with design, product, and engineering to inform the larger marketing strategy based on market trends and industry landscape
- Oversee all marketing communication efforts for all product markets, as well as for all internal departments
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of Marketing. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in business related field preferred
- [#] years of experience building marketing strategies
- Understanding of traditional and innovative marketing strategies
- Exceptional ability to communicate and collaborate with other departments to capitalize upon new opportunities for growth
- Strong analytical mindset with the ability to leverage data to drive impactful business and marketing decisions
- Demonstrated experience using data/analytics to drive business strategy and growth
- Understands the latest trends in the market and build awareness campaigns that account for these factors
- Knowledge of CRM and marketing automation software
- Innovative and creative mindset with a proven ability to clearly communicate and execute on data-backed recommendations
- Experience managing and optimizing a marketing budget for quarterly and monthly goals
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of Marketing is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.