Job Description Template
A Director of Operations is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of Operations job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of Operations will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Operations responsible for the day-to-day operations to leading the organization toward a more efficient and effective operating model. Our Director of Operations will be also be responsible for designing and implementing the necessary infrastructure, technology, processes, and capabilities to support future business growth.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of Operations. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Implement data-driven recommendations to improve operational efficiency, scalability, and lower costs
- Work with employee development and coaching
- Manage and analyze all operational metrics and KPIs that guide decision making and strategy
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product, Marketing, and other teams to execute ideas designed for both internal and external processes
- Maintain and improve on processes that support on-time and on-quality delivery of all projects, including production framework, team structures, and roadmaps
- Optimize and enhance work methods to enhance team coordination and productivity
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of Operations. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in a business related field preferred
- [#] years of experience with business management and complex operations
- Leading the strategic assessment of continual improvement of the business process
- Strong financial and general management experience at high growth organizations
- Proven ability to drive and manage priorities and projects with urgency in a fast-paced environment
- Data driven with the ability to master complex business problems
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to design and implement strategy that drives business results
- Remove existing constraints and think creatively about how to deliver maximum impact
- Ability to quickly move from high level conversations into detailed operational discussions to drive business execution
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of Operations is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.