Job Description Template
A Director of Product is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of Product job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of Product will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Product who will play a pivotal role in the future of our company. Our Director of Product will be responsible for the technical vision and development of our [PRODUCT]. You’ll guide our company into its next phase through continued innovation and business growth.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of Product. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Drive the product vision of the company and participate in strategic decisions with the leadership team
- Product lifecycle management from concept to launch of the product(s) across all products/product lines
- Advocate for consumer initiatives as well as enhance the user experience and design
- Assess product development sprints and enhancement opportunities
- Develop budgets, forecasts, and metrics
- Develop product roadmaps with the Product Managers - align resources to execute the plans and influence stakeholders to achieve growth and product adoption
- Define product requirements and work closely with our Engineering and Design teams to build, design and launch features against a timely schedule
- Define pricing and competitive positioning for each product
- Drive innovative ideas, solutions and products through leadership and decisive action
- Be the voice of our product strategy, internally and externally
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of Product. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in a technical field preferred
- [#] years of experience in product leadership
- Strategic & creative thinker with the ability to craft go-to-market strategies and campaigns in collaboration with marketing
- Demonstrated knowledge of operational issues with (portfolio management, risk management, etc.)
- Passion for delivering innovative products with a think-outside-the-box mentality
- Have a high sense of accountability with a willingness to take educated risks and construct solutions
- People leader with demonstrated success in leading and mentoring the research, design, and development team
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Capable of balancing long-term, strategic roadmapping and thought leadership
- Able to distill product roadmaps into digestible and relevant presentations to key customers and partners
- Ability to bridge product gaps with both qualitative and quantitative insights
Benefits and Perks
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of Product is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.