Job Description Template
A Director of Sales is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the Director of Sales job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the Director of Sales will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Director of Sales with an understanding of complex sales cycles and an ability to demonstrate business value to prospective customers. As a Sales Director, you’re a clear communicator with an ability to effectively communicate with customers.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a Director of Sales. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Identify emerging markets and market shifts while understanding what this means in terms of sales tactics and opportunities
- Advocate for customer’s needs and work cross functionally to resolve any user pain points
- Develop and maintain departmental goals and KPIs
- Drive leads from qualification to close in a complex and competitive market
- Collaborate with Operations, Marketing, and Product teams to identify up-selling or cross selling opportunities
- Cultivate and grow relationships with influential industry leaders that will lead to new sales opportunities and business development
- Provide detailed and accurate sales forecasting and analytics
- Ensure the sales team achieves key performance metrics and goals, both within specific teams
- Rebuild the sales organization and improve upon existing functions
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a Director of Sales. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in business related preferred
- [#] years of experience in sales management
- Knowledge of sales concepts, best practices, and techniques
- Strong customer service and teamwork skills
- Ability to provide accurate forecasting and pipeline development and management
- Strong sales presentation skills with the ability to convey value an influence an audience
- Able to manage various projects in a fast-paced environment while meeting strict deadlines
- Experience developing a hefty pipeline of both inbound and outbound leads
- Possess well-developed communication and presentation skills; able to communicate with customers from multi-functional and diverse backgrounds
- Proven track record of managing and negotiating complex technical, outbound sales opportunities
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A Director of Sales is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best Director candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding Directors better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.