Job Description Template
A Vice President (VP) of Operations is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the VP of Operations job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the VP of Operations will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Vice President (VP) of Operations responsible for organizing, planning, and managing the integration of the company's functions. Our VP of Operations will be also be responsible for coordinating the continued growth and success in line with the company's goals and vision. This individual will partner with other internal functional organizations to drive a high-performing, collaborative and ethical culture of productivity.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a VP of Operations. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Help recruit new talent, retain top performers, and grow a strong, innovative operations leadership team
- Work with employee development and coaching
- Manage and analyze all operational metrics and KPIs that guide decision making and strategy
- Partner with the executive leadership team to evolve organization design
- Adapt as the company grows across segments and geographies as well as through growing consumer demands
- Work closely with senior leadership to define optimal performance measurements and programs required to ensure field organization success.
- Oversee and drive streamlined and efficient processes throughout the business teams
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a VP of Operations. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in a business related field preferred
- [#] years of experience with business management and complex operations with a high level of people involvement
- Extensive management experience with both direct team leadership development and large operations team leadership
- Strong financial and general management experience at high growth organizations
- Able to engage with executive stakeholders, including board members and peers at other companies
- Data driven with the ability to master complex business problems
- Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to design and implement strategy that drives business results
- Ability to quickly move from high level conversations into detailed operational discussions to drive business execution
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A VP of Operations is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best VP candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding VPs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.