Job Description Template
A Vice President (VP) of Product is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the VP of Product job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the VP of Product will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Vice President (VP) of Product who will play a pivotal role in the future of our company. Our VP of Product will be responsible for the technical vision and development of our [PRODUCT]. You’ll be managing other engineers and developers, collaborating with the marketing and support teams, as well as providing the overall vision for the product roadmap.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a VP of Product. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of product managers, developers, and related personnel.
- Product planning and assignment of tasks and deliverables.
- Product lifecycle management from concept to launch of the product(s) across all products/product lines.
- Lead, define, represent and communicate product strategy to all stakeholders.
- Assess product development sprints and enhancement opportunities.
- Develop budgets, forecasts, and metrics.
- Monitor product development sprints and evaluate results.
- Own the product roadmap and communicate with C-level staff, board members, and other stakeholders.
- Lead Product Marketing Managers to assess product mix and marketing strategy.
- Monitor and manage strategic marketing plans for each product or product lines.
- Define pricing and competitive positioning for each product.
- Drive innovative ideas, solutions and products through leadership and decisive action.
- Build incredible teams and processes to deliver products that satisfy the needs of customers.
- Become the key evangelist of [PRODUCT] and participate in press activities, conferences, discussions with thought leaders and market analysts.
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a VP of Product. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. and an advanced degree in a technical field required
- [#] years of experience as a product leader
- Strategic & creative thinker with the ability to craft go-to-market strategies and campaigns in collaboration with marketing
- Demonstrated knowledge of operational issues with (portfolio management, risk management, etc.)
- Able to formulate and implement global strategies for products
- Customer-centric mindset with the capability of translating that into the product development process
- Successfully implemented data-driven processes to turn a vision into an actionable roadmap
- People leader with demonstrated success in leading and mentoring the research, design, and development team
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail
- Understand the user experience and design
- Direct experience with digital management software or workplace collaboration software is desired
- Able to distill product roadmaps into digestible and relevant presentations to key customers and partners
- Drive product analytics to understand feature usage, comprehension, and optimization
- Excellent verbal and oral communication skills
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A VP of Product is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best VP candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding VPs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.