Job Description Template
A Vice President (VP) of Sales is an executive-level role. Candidates who best fit this role are often not actively looking for new opportunities. As such, your job description must sell these candidates on the opportunity such that they're willing to leave their current role.
Ask yourself the following questions to get a better sense of how to present your company and the role to prospective candidates:
Remember, the job spec needs to be both educational and intriguing. You need to inform and sell.
Use the VP of Sales job description template below to create your ideal candidate profile and provide the information that executive candidates care about most.
This is where you will introduce your company, mission statement, and values. This section is one of the most important sections, as it will be a key selling point for top candidates. Emphasize the company culture, reputation, and anything else that makes your company amazing.
Here is where you'll want to give a brief overview of whom you're looking for. Highlight the most important aspects of the role and touch upon the impact that the VP of Sales will have on the rest of the company.
We’re looking for a Vice President (VP) of Sales responsible for partnering with key internal stakeholders to drive customer acquisition/retention and meet/exceed defined metrics of success. This is an excellent opportunity to own the development of new sales pipelines, strategies, and processes as well as implement strategies to meet sales and revenue goals.
Below is a list of skills and responsibilities typically required for a VP of Sales. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- Identify emerging markets and market shifts while understanding what this means in terms of sales tactics and opportunities
- Plan and strategize territories to maximize effective coverage
- Develop and maintain departmental goals and KPIs
- Analyze sales pipeline and develop accurate forecasting to develop accurate projections and budget
- Build growth strategy alongside other departments including the Product and Marketing team
- Cultivate and grow relationships with influential industry leaders that will lead to new sales opportunities and business development
- Provide detailed and accurate sales forecasting and analytics
- Assess and build upon the processes implemented to support sales functions
Make sure to mention any additional knowledge of the industry, or other technology/information relevant to your product/company.
Below is a list of qualifications typically required for a VP of Sales. Select and modify as you see fit and as they pertain to your particular role.
- B.S. required, advanced degree in business management preferred
- [#] years of experience in B2B/B2C sales and [#] years leading a sales team of at least [#] people
- Knowledge of sales concepts, best practices, and techniques
- Demonstrated ability to build high-performing teams that deliver results and exceed revenue goals
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute on account strategies, creating sales plans, measuring performance and acting on results
- Able to manage various projects in a fast-paced environment while meeting strict deadlines
- Experience with managing both inbound and outbound leads
- Possess well-developed communication and presentation skills; able to communicate with customers from multi-functional and diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed quarterly quotas
Insert the benefits or company perks here. You’ll want to emphasize items such as:
A VP of Sales is critical to your company, you can't afford to hire the wrong person. You could post this job description online and make the hire yourself, but the best VP candidates aren't looking on job boards.
Or you could use The Clockwork Network to find an Executive Search firm that specializes in finding VPs better and faster than anyone else. Our free service finds you the best search firms that have a proven track record for your exact type of search.